Thursday, April 27, 2006

Site redesign

I finished Dragon Quest VIII and so that means things will be getting back to normal around here pretty shortly. First up I'm hoping to get some ideas for redesigning the site. As you can see, this blog isn't overly different in look to pretty much every other blog on blogger. It looks a little bland as a result to me and it always somewhat miffs me that it looks like every other blog. I've done a bit of 'personalisation' on the site every so often, like adding the little antibody under the title (that's what the Y shaped globular thing is if you've ever wondered). Overall however, it's still pretty much the same as it was when I first started it.

Now I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the good old blogger.com template. It's perfectly functional and my numerous experiments with it have allowed me to figure out quite a bit of HTML. The guy who made the thing originally certainly did a very good job, but it's just not mine if you can appreciate what I'm getting at. So I intend to 'personalise' the site over the next couple of weeks. What this means is all sorts of random errors and general chaos. I don't expect most of the things I try and do to work the first time (if at all), so if the blog explodes or something then just assume I've done something horrible to it.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is my RSS feed. Apparently it's not working, or working some of the time or it just doesn't behave in any sensible manner. To be honest I'm still rather clueless as to what I've done to it and am working to correct the problem. With luck the site redesign will allow me to figure out what exactly I did to it.

Finally, if you're looking for some reading to do and haven't seen the latest carnival of the wee animacules, then that was posted recently at the Biotech Weblog. It was fairly small last week though so we need a few more people making submissions. Or alternatively, a couple of regular submitters not playing computer games :p